Get a quote

Call us: 0345 6461396

Compare van quotes from leading insurers

From the 8th June 2015 the UK paper counterpart driving licence will no longer be issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

Can I throw my paper driving licence away?

When the DVLA stops issuing the paper counterpart it is advisable for you to destroy your paper copy, you will still need to keep your current photocard driving licence however.

If your driving licence was issued before 1998 and you only have a paper driving licence you should keep hold of it as these will remain valid and, in this situation, should not be destroyed.

Why is this happening?

It’s a scheme that has been thought up by Government motoring agencies with the aim of removing ‘red tape’. By moving to an online system there will be a saving of £8 million.

A joint venture by the DVLA and Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) has resulted in the creation of Mylicence. This is a service where drivers can check their details online.

Changing my driving licence address

You can still make use of your counterpart driving licence if you need to change your address details with the DVLA. This can be done online. If you do own a paper driving licence, the next time you update details with the DVLA you may be issued with a photocard to replace the paper counterpart.

Anything else?

There are other improvements being made to the online system in regards to car hire and insurance and we have no doubt that these details will be released before too long.

In addition to a valid UK driver’s licence there are a few other prerequisites that need to be adhered to when driving in the UK;

  1. The vehicle must have passed an MOT and be within the MOT expiration date,
  2. Drivers of cars, vans, motorcycles and other vehicles must pay road tax
  3. All drivers within the UK must have valid insurance

It is a criminal offence to drive without any of above. Luckily we can help you with your van insurance by helping you to secure insurance for your commercial vehicles at a great price.